01 Sep Chelsea get one, miss one
Chelsea completed a late deadline day deal to bring in England midfielder Danny Drinkwater from Leicester as confusion reigned over a failed bid for Everton’s Ross Barkley.
Drinkwater signed a five-year deal at Stamford Bridge as Antonio Conte ended a largely-frustrating transfer window by landing a key target.
The 27-year-old will be reunited with former Foxes team-mate N’Golo Kante after the pair starred in Leicester’s shock title win in 2016.
Drinkwater has not played for Leicester this season due to a thigh injury but could be in line to make his Chelsea debut against his former club at the King Power Stadium on September 9.
Leicester said in a statement they had received a club-record fee for Drinkwater, with reports suggesting it is in the region of £35million.
Drinkwater told his new club’s website: “I’m delighted to be a Chelsea player and can’t wait to get started.
“It has been a long journey to get here but I am very happy and am looking forward to helping the club win more trophies.”
Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo added: ‘Danny is not only a Premier League winner but also has Champions League experience which will be invaluable for us this season.
“He is a typically combative English midfielder with a cultured passing technique and his arrival significantly strengthens our midfield options.’
While Drinkwater completed his move from Leicester, he will not be joined at Chelsea by England colleague Barkley.
Barkley changed his mind about moving to Chelsea despite claims from Everton majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri that he had undergone a medical in west London, although other reports suggest no medical was conducted.
Moshiri said Everton had accepted a £35m offer for the England international and were left “surprised” by Barkley’s decision to opt against the move.
The 23-year-old emerged as a late candidate for Conte’s side, who have added Antonio Rudiger, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Alvaro Morata and Davide Zappacosta in the window, having been told by Everton boss Ronald Koeman he could leave this summer.
But Moshiri told Sky Sports News the player had a change of heart and will now return to Goodison Park to continue rehabilitation on a hamstring injury.
“After the medical we heard from Paul Martin, Ross Barkley’s agent, that he changed his mind and wanted to reconsider his position during the January window, that is the latest,” he said.
“He is currently injured so I think technically he will be with us because he is under contract for another year. So it is a big surprise, but that is football.”
Italy international Zappacosta had earlier completed his own late deadline-day move to Stamford Bridge.
The 25-year-old defender joined from Torino on a four-year deal at the club and heralded the move as a “dream”.
‘It is a dream for me to join Chelsea and play in the Premier League,” he told Chelsea’s official website.
“I am very excited to be here and start working with the team. I hope I can show my quality to the coach, my team-mates and the supporters.”
As well as arrivals there were several departures as Chelsea added to the vast quantity of players they have out on loan with Jordan Houghton, Charlie Wakefield, Fikayo Tomori and Nathan all penning temporary deals throughout the day.
Diego Costa’s potential move to former club Atletico Madrid could still materialise as the Spanish transfer window is open until midnight on Friday.