07 Dec McInnes staying at Aberdeen
Derek McInnes has vowed to focus his efforts on Aberdeen after he stunned Rangers by rejecting a move to Ibrox.
The Dons boss has finally ended the six-week saga surrounding his future by committing himself to Pittodrie.
The 46-year-old has spent the last two days in talks with chairman Stewart Milne after the Ibrox club’s opening request to speak to him was rebuffed late on Tuesday.
But he has now sent the Light Blues hurtling back to square one in their search for Pedro Caixinha’s replacement by confirming he and assistant Tony Docherty will be staying put.
And having left preparation for Friday night’s trip to Dundee in the hands of youth-team boss Paul Sheerin and coach Barry Robson over the past 48 hours, McInnes says he is now ready to get back down to business with the Dons.
Confirming he would not be rejoining the club he supported and later played for, McInnes said: “I’ve had a lot to consider over the last couple of days and I appreciate it’s been a testing time for everyone, including my family, and I’m pleased to be now totally focusing purely on on-the-field matters.”
It took Rangers chairman Dave King 40 days to make his move but with last week’s doubleheader against Aberdeen out of the way, the Glasgow giants finally made their move.
Rangers won both games and it appeared McInnes was edging towards the Pittodrie exit when he failed to lead his team out for training on both Wednesday and Thursday.
But in a shock turn of events, it was confirmed shortly before 6pm on Thursday that Rangers had failed to prise him away from the Granite City.
The Dons announced on their website: “Following weeks of speculation, Aberdeen Football Club can confirm that the management team of Derek McInnes and Tony Docherty will be remaining at Pittodrie.”
It is the second time in six months that McInnes has opted against leaving Pittodrie after he also turned down Sunderland before signing a new three-year contract.
Milne said last month that he was confident McInnes was going nowhere as Rangers’ interest intensified.
But while he refused Ibrox chiefs permission to open talks with his boss, he revealed he did give McInnes time to think over his future.
Milne said: “As everyone is aware, Rangers made an approach on Tuesday evening and they were refused permission to speak with Derek.
“I spoke with Derek who felt it was a major thing to be considered for the managerial position at a club such as Rangers and we agreed that he could have some time to think about the approach and talk it through with his family.
“Over the past 48 hours, I have been in constant dialogue with Derek and having weighed up the opportunity, he has taken the decision to remain as Aberdeen manager.
“Derek appreciates all that he has at this club and feels he wants to keep driving the club forward. This is where he wants to be and he feels he very much has unfinished business with Aberdeen.
“I personally am delighted that Derek has decided to remain with the club and everyone looks forward to putting the speculation of the past few weeks behind us and concentrating on matters on the park starting at Dens tomorrow evening.”