29 Apr Miller wants a fighting Rangers
Kenny Miller signed a new one-year deal with Rangers and then called for recruits with the same mind-set to make the Gers more competitive next season.
The 37-year-old striker extended his contract to 2018 under new boss Pedro Caixinha who took over the Ibrox club last month.
Light Blues’ fans have watched their side fall 33 points behind Ladbrokes Premiership champions Celtic, who demonstrated their superiority yet again this season when they knocked a subdued Rangers out of the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final at Hampden Park last week with a comfortable 2-0 win.
And ahead of the final league game between the Glasgow giants taking place in Govan on Saturday lunchtime, few outside Ibrox expect the third-place home side to deliver a first domestic defeat of this campaign to Brendan Rodgers’ treble-chasing Hoops.
Miller is looking for Caixinha to build a squad with the same determination as himself to get the Light Blues back among the honours.
He told RangersTV: “I do feel I have a responsibility going into next season, I have a personal pride in what I do and I don’t want to be playing second fiddle to anybody.
“The recruitment over the summer will be key and we must get characters in who have that mind-set that we’re not going to settle for second best.
“There will be comings and goings in the summer and it is important that the guys who are coming in are of the right calibre that can take us to that level that makes us more competitive.
“The lads here need help, we need the signings who come in to really help drive those on who are already here whilst improving the quality of the squad.
“Next season will be tough because every season (the manager) always looks to strengthen.
“Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts will all strengthen too so it’s important we get the right players in, in the right positions and with the right mind-set that can take us back to the top of the league.”
Miller’s future had been subject to speculation but his new deal will give Rangers fans a much-needed boost.
The former Wolves, Celtic and Derby County player, who won 69 caps with Scotland, said: “I was delighted to get it signed and I’m looking forward to the last few games of the season and then building towards a better, more competitive year next year.
”With the new manager coming in over the past two months it was important that he came in and settled into the club, assessed his squad and fortunately enough he has made the right decision
”When a new manager comes in everybody’s future is starting to be thrown into doubt a wee bit, whether they have contracts or not.
”He let me know a few weeks back his thoughts and what he’d seen and then it was just a case of getting things tied up with (managing director) Stewart Robertson and (director of finance and administration) Andrew Dickson.
”I was delighted when he let me know that he sees me as part of his squad next year and what his plans were so I’m over the moon.
”I was always confident that the manager would see the work that I have been doing every day in training, the commitment to the cause and since he’s come in I think I’ve maintained a decent level of performance and consistency. I was always hopeful I would stay on.”