12 Jan Soccer transfers update
Everton are in talks with Arsenal to sign forward Theo Walcott.
Talks have opened with the Gunners over a potential £20million deal for the 28-year-old, who has only 18 months remaining on his contract.
The England international has made just 15 appearances this season but has not made a Premier League start since April.
“I think you are all aware of our interest in Theo,” said Everton boss Sam Allardyce. “If that is possible to get over the line I’d be delighted.
I don’t think there’s any chance of a loan so I think it is a permanent deal we’re hoping to negotiate.
“His pace is one of his key strengths, which we lack in this squad. His assists are pretty good as well as his goals.
We are short of goals so to add power in our goalscoring ability would be very important for me if we can negotiate that transfer – and he’s only 28.”
Meanwhile, Stoke managerial target Quique Sanchez Flores refused to answer questions about his future following Espanyol’s Copa del Rey victory over Levante on Thursday night.
Press Association Sport understands Flores is the Premier League club’s first choice to replace Mark Hughes and that a Stoke delegation met with the former Watford boss in Barcelona on Wednesday.
Asked if he had received an offer from Stoke, the 52-year-old Spaniard told a post-match press conference as reported by the Spanish media: “I’m not going to talk about me on such an important day for Espanyol.
“I don’t want to talk about me, but to enjoy these moments. I want to continue being happy with my profession.”
Huddersfield have completed the signing of Alex Pritchard from Norwich for an undisclosed fee, the Premier League club have announced.
The Terriers have agreed personal terms with Pritchard after an improved undisclosed bid for the 24-year-old had been accepted earlier in the week.
“We’re delighted to announce that @pritch_93 joins #htafc from @NorwichCityFC for an undisclosed free, signing a three and a half year deal,” Huddersfield revealed on Twitter.
Pritchard could make his Terriers debut in Saturday’s home Premier League game against West Ham.
Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez not only faces a battle to keep his side in the Premier League, he’s facing a battle to keep midfielder Jonjo Shelvey.
The midfielder, who joined the Magpies in 2016, is being linked with a move to West Ham.
The combative midfielder has been sent off twice this season including an opening day dismissal in the 2-0 home defeat to Tottenham.
Benitez said: “We cannot sell players that are playing because we would have to replace them for better players and, in January, we would need a lot of money to convince players to come here.
“That is almost impossible in January. We are not thinking of selling players that are playing already.”