fbpx Skip to main content

A Billy Mckay double either side of a Daniel Mackay header sealed a 3-0 win for Inverness Caledonian Thistle over Falkirk, as the Highlanders cruised into the Scottish Cup Final.

Veteran forward Mckay opened the scoring from the spot before Hibs loanee MacKay dispatched a clinical header to give Billy Dodds’ side a two goal lead at the break. McKay sealed the tie 10 minutes into the second period with an expertly taken volley for his second of the day.

Billed as the underdog’s semi final, Falkirk took on Inverness looking to book a Scottish Cup final place against one half of the Old Firm who would face off 24 hours later.

Championship Inverness continued their miraculous run to the final having been reinstated to the competition despite losing to Queens Park, after the spiders were expelled earlier in the run. Falkirk meanwhile aimed to become the first third division side since Gretna in 2008 to reach the final.

It took just five minutes for Inverness to take the lead at the national stadium as Billy Mckay fired his side ahead from the spot. After a VAR check, Nick Walsh adjudged the ball had come off the arm of Leon McCann and gave Mckay the opportunity for a semi final opener , where he made no mistake.

Conceding early didn’t damped Falkirk spirits however and they should have been level just six minutes later. Goalkeeper Mark Ridgers rushed out allowing Callumn Morrison in behind with an open goal to aim at, only for the forward top drag his shot on to the post and in the process spare the Inverness stopper’s blushes.

Falkirk continued to press as the half wore on, but they were undone by a clinical Inverness move which gave Dodds’ men a two goal advantage after 33 minutes. Jay Henderson delivered an inch perfect cross for MacKay to power home a header and stretch the Highlanders advantage.

Ten minutes into the second half and the match was essentially over as a contest when Billy Mckay got his second of the afternoon. It was Daniel Mackay who turned provider this time we he delivered a deep ball to the back post, where the forward was waiting with an excellent cushioned volley beyond the helpless Brian Kinnear.

He will look to repeat his goalscoring feats when his side return to the national stadium in June for a show piece final occasion.