fbpx Skip to main content

Glasgow City have been crowned champions of the SWPL after a dramatic final day three team shootout.

A 92nd minute winner from Lauren Davidson sealed a 1-0 win for Glasgow City over Rangers, snatching the title from Celtic who leapfrog their rivals to take the second Champions League spot.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND – MAY 21: Glasgow City’s Lauren Davidson celebrates after scoring to make it 1-0 during a Scottish Women’s Premier League match between Rangers and Glasgow City at Ibrox Stadium, on May 21, 2023, in Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Paul Devlin / SNS Group)

Glasgow City came into the afternoon two points clear at the top of the table, looking to lift their 16th title. Their opponents Rangers meanwhile had eyes on defending their crown and keeping the trophy out of the hands of Celtic who took on Hearts across the city.

Malky Thomson’s Gers side were dominant in the first half, taking the game to Glasgow City whom they have not lost to so far this season. Brogan Hay looked to be Rangers most creative threat from the right flank, however the home side may have been accused of trying to walk the ball in.

Despite Kirsty Howat carving out a host of chances in front of goal, it was all square in Govan as the first half came to a close.

Across Glasgow, Celtic asserted their dominance on a Hearts team who had nothing left to play for in the final fixture. As the match in the East end also looked set for a half time stalemate, up stepped Caitlin Hayes to break the deadlock.

Recently crowned PFA Women’s Player of the Year, Hayes found herself with space just inside the area before rifling the ball beyond Charlotte Parker-Smith to send her side top of the table at the interval.

Glasgow City could feel their grasp on the league slipping away and began to work their way into the game as the second half wore on. Priscila Chinchilla broke free on the left hand side but could only blaze her effort into stand as the tide began to turn for Leanne Ross’s outfit.

Celtic doubled their advantage just before the 70th minute mark as Natasha Flint powered home a header from close range. Fran Alonso’s side were doing their part despite knowing a goal at Ibrox could change the picture entirely.

The script was always written to produce a dramatic finale and that crucial goal at Ibrox came in the 92nd minute for Glasgow City courtesy of Lauren Davidson’s 31st strike of the season. The forward looked dangerous all afternoon and latched on to low ball across the box before dispatching what would prove to be a title winning finish.

Rangers did have the ball in the net in a heart stopping final minute, prompting a roar in the stands at Celtic Park. However it was adjudged to be a foul on goalkeeper Lee Gibson as Glasgow City snatched their 16th title from the clutches of Celtic, who will have to settle for a European spot ahead of rivals Rangers after losing out on the main prize.