23 Dec Barton in the dock again
Joey Barton has been charged by the Football Association for misconduct in relation to betting.
The governing body has said Barton is alleged to have placed 1,260 bets over a 10-year period.
Barton, who earlier this week signed for Burnley until the end of the season, is alleged by the FA to have placed bets between March 26, 2006 and May 13, 2016.
The 34-year-old was handed a one-match suspension for breaking Scottish Football Association betting rules during his short stint at Rangers.
The midfielder admitted breaching the SFA’s zero-tolerance rules, which forbid players gambling on any match.
He placed 44 bets on games between July 1, 2016 – when his Ibrox deal started – and September 15.
His Scottish suspension will carry over into his Burnley career.
He has until January 5, 2017 to respond to the latest FA charge.
Although the news broke just three days after Burnley revealed Barton would be re-signing with them in January, Press Association Sport understands the charge has not been announced now just because the midfielder is due to return to English football.
The FA is understood to have been investigating the matter for the past few months having received information from a bookmaker and, given the sheer volume of bets placed over the 10-year period, the probe has taken longer than most cases.
Barton could therefore still have been charged by the national governing body as a free agent.
Burnley released a short statement on Friday confirming they were aware of the charge and would discuss the issue with Barton.
“Burnley Football Club have today been made aware of FA charges brought against Joey Barton relating to historic betting on football matches,” it read.
“The club will be discussing the matter with Joey and his legal representatives and will be making no further comment on the matter at this time.”
That statement, and news of his charge, followed Clarets manager Sean Dyche’s press conference on Thursday afternoon when he did not discuss the impending move for Barton in great depth.
“He’s not a contracted player at Burnley Football Club,” Dyche had said.
“We’ve just had a chat with him and agreed in principle the idea of it going forward.”