David Luiz has returned to Chelsea from Paris St Germain on a three-year contract.
The 29-year-old Brazil defender, who moved to Parc des Princes for £50million ahead of the 2014 World Cup, returns to Stamford Bridge for a reported £32million fee.
He said on chelseafc.com: “I’m delighted to return to Chelsea. We had a fantastic story during my first time at the club and I want to help the team and Antonio Conte achieve a lot of success.
“I always had a wonderful relationship with the fans and I am looking forward to wearing the blue shirt at Stamford Bridge once again.”
The Blues and PSG earlier on Wednesday announced terms had been agreed for Luiz’s return and the deal was announced soon after the 2300BST closure of the summer transfer window.
His acquisition was part of a busy deadline day for the Blues, who signed Marcos Alonso from Fiorentina and let Juan Cuadrado join Juventus on a three-year loan deal.
Luiz joined Chelsea from Benfica in January 2011 and made 143 appearances, scoring 12 goals, before his departure three-and-a-half-years later.
He won the 2012 Champions League and 2013 Europa League with Chelsea and the 2012 FA Cup.
He has played against Chelsea four times in the two years since leaving the Blues, as PSG were opponents in the Champions League in each of the last two seasons.
He vowed not to celebrate if he scored against his former club, but did so as PSG advanced on away goals at the expense of Chelsea in March 2015.
He is the latest former player to return to Chelsea. The Blues bought back Nemanja Matic, who joined Benfica as part of the deal which saw Luiz signed, while Didier Drogba had a second spell at Stamford Bridge.
Luiz made 89 appearances for PSG, scoring eight goals, and won two French Ligue 1 titles (2015, 2016), two Coupes de France (2015, 2016), two Coupes de la Ligue (2015, 2016) and two Trophees des Champions (2015, 2016).
He became the Blues’ fifth summer signing after France midfielder N’Golo Kante, Belgium striker Michy Batshuayi, Portuguese goalkeeper Eduardo and Alonso.
Cuadrado earlier rejoined Juventus on a loan deal which effectively brought his Chelsea career to an end.
Alonso’s is just beginning. The Spanish left-back and Cuadrado were team-mates for one season at Fiorentina and now the Colombia winger has returned to Serie A and is back with Juventus on the day Alonso moved to Stamford Bridge.
Juventus on Wednesday announced Cuadrado had joined on loan until June 2019 for an annual fee of 5million euros (£4.25m), with the option for the deal to be made permanent for 25m euros (£21.25m). The 28-year-old spent last season on loan with the Turin side.
The terms of the deal take Cuadrado to the end of the four-and-a-half-year contract he signed on joining Chelsea in February 2015.
Cuadrado’s departure was not unexpected as he never fulfilled his potential at Chelsea, making just 15 appearances.
He helped Juventus to a league and cup double last season while making 40 appearances and was welcomed back by the Bianconeri.
Spanish full-back Alonso earlier signed a five-year contract with Chelsea for a fee reportedly in excess of £20m.
The former Bolton defender began his career at Real Madrid and has also had a spell on loan at Sunderland.
Alonso’s arrival gives Chelsea head coach Antonio Conte options at the back, with the possibility of Cesar Azpilicueta switching to right-back and Branislav Ivanovic playing in the centre of defence.
Alonso said on chelseafc.com: “I’m very happy. It’s a step up in my career and I think this is the perfect place for me to continue developing. It’s time for me to win some titles.
“It was an easy decision for me to make when I heard the club were interested in signing me.
“My family and close friends know Chelsea is the club I have dreamed about playing for so I’m really excited about the challenge and I’m looking forward to working with my new team-mates.”
Alonso played for Bolton for three seasons, including alongside Gary Cahill, who is now one of his Chelsea team-mates.