fbpx Skip to main content

An astonishing goal from Liam Scales, coupled with a clinical Bojan Miovski diving header gave Aberdeen a 2-0 win over Rangers and made it seven victories in a row for Barry Robson’s side.

Celtic loanee Scales stunned the travelling support when his effort from the left wing looped over Allan McGregor from distance. Whilst there will be questions over whether the opener was intentional, there was no such doubt about the Dons’ second. Leighton Clarkson delivered a floated cross into the box where Miovski powered home a header to seal the points for the hosts.

Michael Beale brought his side to Pittodrie looking for a win to maintain positive momentum heading into next week’s Old Firm Scottish Cup semi-final. Robson meanwhile, was well aware of the need for a victory to continue the Dons’ charge for third place following Hearts dominant six goal display 24 hours earlier.

Rangers almost had the lead after eleven minutes when Alfredo Morelos juggled the ball in the box before directing a volley goalward. The Colombian was denied however by the quick thinking of Leighton Clarkson who positioned himself on the line to head away to safety.

Fashion Sakala then passed up a golden opportunity moments later when he found himself one on one with Kelle Roos only for the Zambian to fire his shot straight at the on-rushing goalkeeper.

Rangers continued to press as the half wore on, with Borna Barisic hitting the post with a rifled effort from the left hand side. Soon after Nicolas Raskin had his close range attempt blocked thanks to a sliding challenge from Matty Pollock, giving the home crowd something to shout about.

Aberdeen did have a chance of their own with five minutes left of the half when Ylber Ramadani tested Allan McGregor from range.

Two minutes into the second period and the hosts took the lead through an astonishing goal from Scales who, in a twist of irony, is on-loan from Gers’ Old Firm rivals on the other side of Glasgow. The defender whipped in a dipping ball from the left wing which deceived McGregor and dropped into the net at the back post.

The home side then incredibly doubled their advantage ten minutes later when Miovski met a floated Clarkson cross with a diving header, which he directed into the bottom corner. VAR kept the home crowd’s celebrations under wraps for a brief moment as the North Macedonian looked as though he may have strayed offside, but he was judged to have timed his run perfectly as Rangers appeared shell shocked.

James Tavernier tried to drag his side back into it, but he saw his close range shot saved expertly by Roos with 15 minutes remaining.

Aberdeen remained comfortable in the closing stages as Barry Robson took another giant step towards a third place finish.