Latest News

SFA launch investigation into Cup final scenes

By May 21, 2016No Comments

By Craig Turnbull at Hampden

The Scottish FA say they will launch a full investigation into the chaotic scenes that unfolded after Hibernian’s Scottish Cup final victory over Rangers.

David Gray last-minute header ended the club’s agonising wait for Scottish Cup success – their first triumph since 1902 – but there were unsavoury scenes at the end of the game with thousands of Hibs fans invading the pitch.

Fighting broke out between the two sets of supporters when Rangers fans also broke beyond the line of stewards and clashed with Hibernian fans on the pitch.

Hibs fans also appeared to goad the Rangers supporters, the Hampden turf was damaged and goalposts were broken.

Police on horses eventually restored order but Rangers players were unable to be presented with their runners-up medals for fears of safety and the club say that players and staff were assaulted

“The Scottish FA is appalled by the scenes of disorder on the field immediately after full-time and at the contemptible behaviour that ensued. What should have been an historic, memorable Scottish Cup final will now, sadly, be remembered for all the wrong reasons,” an SFA statement said.

“Police Scotland and the stadium management initiated a Crisis Liaison Group as soon as the disorder began and we thank them for containing the situation as quickly as possible.

“The Scottish FA, along with Police Scotland and the stadium management have initiated a full investigation into the scenes that unfolded to understand how such a volume of supporters were able to enter the field.”

Rangers called for an investigation to be launched into the “disgraceful” behaviour of Hibs fans after they say their players and staff were assaulted.

“Rangers Football Club is shocked at the disgraceful behaviour of Hibs fans at full-time,” a club statement said.

“Rangers players and staff were assaulted by these fans who invaded the pitch and in the interests of their safety could not return to the pitch for the medal presentation.

“There can be no place for the violent behaviour witnessed at the end of the final and Rangers fully expect the Scottish Football Association and Police Scotland to launch an investigation to find out where security measures failed and why.

“The club would like to commend Rangers fans for the constraint they showed under severe provocation.”

Hibs chairman Rod Petrie put the chaotic scenes down to the “over-exuberance” of some fans after their first Cup win in 114 years.

“I don’t think it was going to be calamitous.

“I think the police and steward and everyone at Hampden Park deserve great credit for the manner in which they dealt with the situation at the end. One-hundred-and-fourteen years of exuberance, it meant that we had to wait a bit longer for the presentation.

“I was deeply disappointed when it happened.

“I am not playing anything down anything that has happened, what happened was a team won the cup and the over exuberance of a number of supporters took them on to the pitch which is unacceptable and I am sorry it happened and it had to be dealt with but I think was dealt with in a professional manner.”

Leave a Reply