fbpx Skip to main content

Celtic cruised into the Scottish Cup semi-finals after Aaron Mooy’s early goal sent them on their way to a 3-0 victory over Hearts at Tynecastle.

Mooy scored in the second minute and Celtic never looked back as they kept their treble hopes alive against a Hearts side who rarely threatened.

Kyogo Furuhashi netted his 26th goal of the season just before the interval and Cameron Carter-Vickers headed a late third.

Holders Rangers are the only other Premiership club left in the competition, at least until their quarter-final clash with Raith Rovers on Sunday.

Hearts were still without Lawrence Shankland and Robert Snodgrass but they brought back Michael Smith, Stephen Kingsley and Barrie McKay following their 3-1 league defeat at Celtic Park on Wednesday.

Sead Haksabanovic started for the visitors in place of the injured Daizen Maeda following his spectacular goal in midweek while Alistair Johnston, Greg Taylor and Reo Hatate returned.

Celtic took control from the start and Hatate had a shot well parried by Zander Clark even before Mooy steered home a first-time left-footed effort. Jota had set up the opener after getting free down the right when Kye Rowles failed to cut out a pass forward.

The visitors were in control until Hearts finally came to life midway through the half after Callum McGregor’s foul on Jorge Grant allowed the home side to put the ball into the box. Hill met Grant’s free-kick and Toby Sibbick turned and shot but Joe Hart got down well to stop and clawed the loose ball behind as Hill slid in for the rebound.

The home side could not maintain any pressure though and Clark saved from Hatate following a brilliant one-touch move involving Mooy and Furuhashi.

Carter-Vickers was off target from a free header before Celtic doubled their lead with the final action of the half.

Hearts were slow to get out as Johnston received the ball back from Mooy following his throw-in and the Canada right-back’s low cross was brilliantly flicked home at the near post by Furuhashi.

Yuki Kobayashi replaced Carl Starfelt at half-time and there was little serious test for the new-look Celtic central defence.

Jota had a great chance when Furuhashi helped on Johnston’s ball forward but Clark saved well.

Celtic remained in control and Hill blocked Hatate’s goal-bound effort before Carter-Vickers headed home unchallenged from substitute Matt O’Riley’s free-kick in the 80th minute.