fbpx Skip to main content

Nicolas Jackson is hopeful that his aborted move to Bayern Munich from Chelsea can be revived with the striker set to stay in Germany on Sunday whilst his representatives work to resolve the stand-off, the PA news agency understands.

The 24-year-old was recalled to west London on Saturday afternoon after flying out to finalise his loan move to the Bundesliga champions, following a hamstring injury picked up by Liam Delap during the Blues’ 2-0 win over Fulham.

Chelsea are reportedly exploring a move for Sporting Lisbon’s Conrad Harder before Monday’s transfer deadline, with the 20-year-old Denmark international being lined up as a possible contingency.

Liam Delap
Liam Delap went off after 13 minutes of Chelsea’s 2-0 win over Fulham (Adam Davy/PA)

PA understands Jackson was furious with Chelsea’s u-turn, which came shortly after head coach Enzo Maresca had confirmed Delap will likely be out for six to eight weeks.

Earlier in the day, a deal had been agreed that would have seen the Senegal international move for an initial £13million loan fee with an option for Bayern to make the deal permanent for £52m.

Bayern sporting director Max Eberl confirmed on Saturday evening that Chelsea had recalled Jackson.

“Chelsea informed us that they would like the player back after we agreed yesterday,” he said following his team’s 3-2 win against Augsburg. “The situation now is that the lad is here in Munich, but we are sending him back.”

Jackson, who has not played for Chelsea this season, had been told that he was not a part of Maresca’s plans following the signings of Delap for £30m from Ipswich and fellow striker Joao Pedro for £60m from Brighton.

Following Delap’s injury and confirmation of the sale on Saturday of Christopher Nkunku to AC Milan for £36m, it left Pedro as Maresca’s only fit striker.

Joao Pedro
Joao Pedro scored Chelsea’s opening goal against Fulham (Adam Davy/PA)

The Brazil international is the team’s joint top scorer this season with two goals in his first three Premier League goals after he headed the opener in the west London derby win.

“I’m very happy to help the team and I’m really pleased to start in this way,” he told Chelsea’s club website.

“There is a lot of work to do though, it’s very early in the season, and I know I need to keep working hard to keep helping the team.

“We’re really happy with the start to the season we’ve made and it gives us something to build on. We came into this game with a lot of confidence after a good win (5-1 against West Ham) but credit to Fulham, they made it difficult for us.

“It was very difficult for us in the beginning, especially in the first half, but we kept fighting, worked hard and got the rewards in the end. In the second half, I thought we played very well as a team and deserved the victory.”