fbpx Skip to main content

Michael Mellon capped a fine debut for Dundee with a goal and two assists in a 4-1 cinch Premiership victory over Livingston.

The Dark Blues were already leading through Amadou Bakayoko’s first-half strike when then the striker replaced Scott Tiffoney just after the hour mark.

The on-loan Burnley player then set up Luke McCowan, who was later sent off for two cautions, and Zach Robinson either side of Tete Yengi’s penalty.

Mellon then lashed home a fourth in the dying stages.

The victory moved Dundee some 13 points clear of basement team Livingston, who missed a first-half penalty through Andrew Shinnie.

Dundee – who threw away a two-goal lead in the midweek loss at Hearts – settled well and got their foot on the ball.

Livingston looked dangerous on the counter and should have done better from a break in the 15th minute led by Jason Holt.

The midfielder tried to send Steven Bradley clear but his pass was cut out by Finlay Robertson.

Dundee then stormed ahead in the 19th minute with a helping hand from Livingston defender James Penrice.

McCowan crossed from the left and Penrice’s attempted clearance landed at the feet of Bakayoko, who lashed a first-time shot past Michael McGovern.

Livingston had a great chance to level five minutes before the break after referee Ross Hardie pointed to the penalty spot following a VAR intervention.

McCowan brought down Holt on the edge of the box and Hardie initially awarded a free-kick.

But VAR got involved and decided the incident took place inside the area.

Shinnie, who also missed from 12 yards last week, stepped up but had his powerful drive stopped by Harry Sharp.

Dan Mackay fired wide from distance after the break before coming within inches of levelling just before the hour mark.

Penrice fired a low delivery across the six-yard box but Mackay was just out of reach.

Dundee then doubled their lead in the 62nd minute when McCowan swept home a left-footed shot from close range after being fed by debutant Mellon

But McCowan was then shown his second yellow card in the 74th minute after tripping Tete Yengi.

It got even better for the hosts in the 78th minute when Yengi scored a penalty after Joel Nouble was brought down by Owen Dodgson.

But within a minute Dundee regained their two-goal lead. Mellon got to the ball ahead of stranded Livingston goalkeeper Michael McGovern and his pass back into the area was poked in by Robinson.

Mellon then capped an impressive debut by firing in a low shot from 20 yards that found the bottom corner.

The far-side assistant referee flagged for offside but following a lengthy delay the goal was given.