Bonnyrigg Rose 1 – 8 Hibernian

Hibernian end Bonnyrigg Rose’s hopes of cup upset with Tynecastle rout

Hibernian began their William Hill Scottish Cup defence by hitting eight goals at Tynecastle.

Jason Cummings and James Keatings both hit doubles as Hibs treated their fans to an 8-1 victory over non-league Bonnyrigg Rose at the home of city rivals Hearts.

The underdogs got a moment of glory thanks to a generous penalty award that allowed Dean Hoskins to make it 3-1, but the gulf in class showed in the second half.

Rose, twice Scottish Junior Cup winners, qualified for the tournament courtesy of their East Super League title win and reached the fourth round after beating Highland League pair Turriff United and Cove Rangers and Hibernian’s Ladbrokes Championship rivals Dumbarton after a replay.

And, with 13 players in their squad with Scottish league experience, they were not being taken lightly by the holders.

The Midlothian club were granted permission to move the game from their New Dundas Park home to Tynecastle and were rewarded with a 16,000-plus sell-out which saw them sell about 5,000 tickets themselves.

There was a poignant moment before the game as a minute’s silence was held for Hibs fan and former Bonnyrigg player Shaun Woodburn, who died in an incident in Leith on New Year’s Day. A teenager has been charged with the murder of the 30-year-old, whose family were at the game.

Rose, whose former players include former Tottenham midfielder John White, Hibs hero Pat Stanton and Sir Sean Connery, were given some early encouragement from sloppy play in the Hibs defence.

But Hibs took the lead in the 11th minute when Andrew Shinnie’s 25-yard drive bounced under the body of goalkeeper Michael Andrews.

Andrews could do nothing about Hibs’ second goal four minutes later as Keatings curled the ball into the top corner from long range, and he made a good stop from Lewis Stevenson in the 24th minute only for Chris Humphrey to force home the rebound.

Hibs fans chanted ‘We want seven’ – the very specific request a reference to their famous win over Hearts in Gorgie on New Year’s Day, 1973.

But it was Rose who struck next, in the 33rd minute, although Hoskins should never have had the chance after Kieran McGachie’s dive under pressure from Jordon Forster fooled referee Alan Muir. Ross Laidlaw, who had replaced Ofir Marciano after the Israeli goalkeeper was injured in a collision, was sent the wrong way.

Andrews made good saves from Cummings and Humphrey and Rose might have had another penalty when Hoskins drove a cross off the arm of Grant Holt. They got a corner instead and Wayne McIntosh sent a free header just over.

However, their slim hopes of an upset were soon killed off after the break. Cummings executed a brilliant scissors-kick in the 52nd minute following a cross by Stevenson, who converted Holt’s low delivery nine minutes later.

Cummings added his second in the 72nd minute, converting after Holt’s shot was saved, and Keatings squeezed a shot inside the near post in the 76th minute to grant the visiting fans their wish.

But they were celebrating again five minutes later when Forster headed home Keatings’ free-kick.

No Comments

Post A Comment