Chelsea target Antonio Conte says he will give his total commitment to Italy in their attempts to win Euro 2016 after it was announced he will step down from the post in the summer.
Italian FA president Carlo Tavecchio confirmed coach Conte will leave Italy after the tournament, paving the way for a move to Chelsea.
Conte has been mooted as potential successor to interim boss Guus Hiddink at Stamford Bridge and owner Roman Abramovich looks set to get his primary target after Tavecchio made his announcement on Tuesday.
“Conte will leave after the European Championships. He is missing day-to-day training,” Tavecchio told reporters.
Conte was in charge of Juventus for three seasons, leading them to three Serie A titles before he joined Italy in 2014 and has built up a reputation as being a fine young manager.
And he says he is desperate to get back club management where he would be involved everyday though didn’t mention any specific names.
“At the moment our utmost concentration is on the Euros where, with hard work and sacrifice, we’ll try to get the most out of our potential,” he posted on Facebook.
“Anyone who knows me knows that my commitment will be total.
“Then I feel like I need to get back to the coach at a club having so the possibility of training every day.”
Chelsea’s current man in charge Hiddink has steadied the ship at the club since taking over from Jose Mourinho in December.
The Dutchman has won eight of 18 games in charge guiding the Blues to 10th but suffered Cup exits to Paris Saint-Germain and Everton last week.