fbpx Skip to main content
Latest News

How Hibernian and St Johnstone made it to the semi-finals

By January 29, 2016No Comments


1R: Hibernian 3-0 Montrose

A routine victory over the lower league side ensured Hibs sealed progression into the next round. Youngster Scott Martin opened the scoring before Scott Allan added a fine second goal and Jason Cummings completed the scoring firing in from close range.

2R: Hibernian 1-0 Stranraer

An own goal by Scott Rumsby gave Hibs a less than convincing win at Easter Road.

3R: Hibernian 2-0 Aberdeen

Alan Stubbs’ side ended the Dons’ unbeaten start to the season after two late goals from Jason Cummings and Dominique Malonga. Cummings opened the scoring with a stunning turn and shot at the edge of the box before Malonga sealed the victory on the counter with a terrific solo effort from his own half.

QF: Hibernian 3-0 Dundee United

Hibs produced a scintillating display of football against the Premiership strugglers to book their place in the last four. David Gray fired the hosts in front. Cummings doubled Hibs’ lead from the penalty spot. Lewis Stevenson put the seal on an impressive win with a deflected effort in stoppage time.


3R: Rangers 1-3 St Johnstone

Rangers must have come into this tie high in confidence after a stunning start to the season under new boss Mark Warburton in the Scottish Championship. However, they were to be rudely awakened by an impressive performance from the Saints who had too much for the Ibrox club. Michael O’Halloran, who has since been the subject of two failed bids by Rangers, proved to be irrepressible and he set up Murray Davidson for the first after a neat flick from Steven MacLean. A cracking 20-yard drive from Simon Lappin made it two before half-time and O’Halloran completed the rout on 46 minutes racing beyond the hosts’ defence before slotting past Wes Foderingham. Tavernier scored a fine consolation for Rangers.

QF: Morton 1-3 St Johnstone

St Johnstone battled back coming from a goal behind to beat the Championship side at Cappielow. Denny Johnstone opened the scoring for the hosts but Steven MacLean restored parity from the penalty spot. O’Halloran turned the tie around, surging forward with the ball before firing a ball into the far corner. O’Halloran’s pace and directness was causing the Morton defence all sorts of problems and he played in Chris Kane to seal the victory.