fbpx
Latest NewsScotland

Official: Strachan signs new deal as Scotland boss

By October 16, 2015No Comments

Gordon Strachan says he’s honoured to continue leading Scotland after signing a new two-year deal with the SFA.

The Scots missed out on qualification for Euro 2016 with the 58-year-old at the helm but he will now have the chance to get Scotland to a major tournament for the first time in 20 years.

The Scots have been pitted alongside England, Slovakia, Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta in Group F of the World Cup 2018 qualifying campaign.

“It is an honour and a privilege to manage my country and, in a way, that has made the disappointment of not qualifying for Euro 2016 all the more profound,” he said.

“I want the best for our country and for those players and I believe we can make Scotland proud in the upcoming qualifiers.

“For that reason, I am delighted to have been asked to continue in my role and I look forward to working with my backroom staff and the players to improve on the previous campaign and look forward to the World Cup qualifiers with optimism.”

Strachan was particularly taken by the Tartan Army supporters who had travelled Portugal for what, ultimately, was a meaningless game.

“None the less, the reaction from the supporters throughout the campaign, and in particular from those who travelled to Faro in their thousands, is an experience that will live with me for the rest of my life,” he continued.

“It was a recognition that the players’ efforts had been appreciated.

“That appreciation and goodwill has also been apparent in the messages of support I have received this week, from emails and letters to chats in the street.”

Leave a Reply