fbpx Skip to main content

Scotland were dealt a double blow as they suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to Northern Ireland at Hampden and lost captain Andy Robertson to an ankle injury in the first half.

Steve Clarke’s side are now winless in seven matches, as Northern Ireland ended their 50 year wait for a win over Scotland at Hampden.

Conor Bradley showed the form that has seen him break into the Liverpool first team this year, as his sublime strike midway through the first half proved to be the winner. A natural right back, the 20-year-old operated towards the top end of the park as Northern Ireland’s most potent attacking weapon.

Steve Clarke had teased at the start of this international break that he may have a ‘surprise’ for Scotland fans but there was an air of the familiar in his starting XI, with nine of those who started the 4-0 defeat to The Netherlands on Friday remaining in the side. Liam Cooper and Lyndon Dykes the only two switches, in for Ryan Porteous and Lawrence Shankland.

Ryan Christie had an early opening within four minutes after the Northern Ireland defence invited him to shoot from the edge of the area. The Bournemouth forward watched as his effort trundled wide.

The game threatened to burst into life when former St Johnstone midfielder Alistair McCann picked up a yellow card for a crunching tackle on Billy Gilmour in the middle of the park.

That proved to be the only moment of note in a subdued opening half hour.

The home crowd held their collective breath as Captain Andrew Robertson went down under a challenge from Trai Hume, a tackle that he initially looked to recover from but would force him off 10 minutes before the break.

Hampden was stunned just after the half hour mark as the visitors took the lead.

Liverpool starlet Bradley, a standout name in Northern Ireland starting XI, showed composure well beyond his 20 years as he pounced on a Nathan Patterson mistake before he curled a stunning effort beyond the helpless palms of Angus Gunn.

Scotland seemed to struggle with the visitors’ aggressive approach and Michael O’Neill’s men could have doubled their advantage when Shea Charles found himself bearing down on goal, only to bend his shot beyond the far post.

Tackles were flying in thick and fast in the second half, as goal scorer Bradley duelled with Kieran Tierney for control on Scotland’s left flank.

Substitute Lewis Ferguson almost found an equaliser in the 89th minute but his effort was tipped over by Bailey Peacock-Farrell and the visitors held on for an historic win.