fbpx Skip to main content

Rangers come from behind to beat Kilmarnock 4-1 to close the gap in the title race to just 3 points. 

Goals from Fabio Silva, Ben Davies, Tom Lawrence and John Souttar saw Philippe Clements’s men overcome a stubborn Kilmarnock. 

At the start of the game, Rangers found themselves six points behind league leaders Celtic, knowing anything but three points today would all but gift Celtic the league title.

It was a fast-paced start to the game with Rangers having an early penalty appeal just three minutes after kick-off.  Referee David Dickinson was sent to the monitor by VAR but in a rare event decided to stick with his original judgement. 

The hosts thought they had taken the lead just moments later through John Lundstram but that was ruled out by VAR for offside. 

However, despite Ranger’s dominance early on it was the visitors who took the lead in the 12th minute. With their first attack on goal, Liam Polworth picked out Matthew Kennedy at the back post before he headed the ball back across the face of the goal. The ball ricocheted off James Tavernier’s arm and bundled into the back of his net.

The madness didn’t end there just ten minutes later Rangers were awarded a penalty for another handball. Joe Wright was deemed to have handled the ball on the line which saw him be sent for an early bath leaving the visitors with 10 men for the remainder of the game.

The Rangers captain who had already scored an own goal stepped up and saw his penalty saved by Will Dennis in a brilliant diving attempt to keep Derek McInnes’s side ahead.

With the number of VAR stoppages, it was expected to see a large chunk of added time for the first half, so there weren’t many surprises when the fourth official raised eight minutes on the board.

Rangers used every second of the additional time when Fabio Silva got the hosts back level with the last kick of the first half. A ball into the box by John Lundstrum picked out Fabio Silva at the back post who on the half-volley slotted the ball home. 

Rangers picked up where they left off in the second half with a clear increase in urgency and got their reward at the 61st-minute mark. 

A long-range effort by Lundstrum was fumbled by Will Dennis which allowed Ben Davies to pounce and slot the ball home completing the comeback.

Rangers made it three just ten minutes after a stunning hit by Tom Lawrence from 25 yards out nestled into the top corner. 

In added time Rangers finished off a perfect second half when John Souttar headed home from close distance.

A much-needed second-half performance from the hosts whose attention now switches to the final old firm derby of the year which looks set to decide where the league title ends up. 

For Derek McInnes’ side, they now prepare for a trip to the SMISA stadium as they look to secure their 4th-place league finish.